Having smooth hairless skin and not needing to shave constantly to have smooth skin is a dream for many people. That dream can become a reality. Laser hair removal is one of the best ways to remove unwanted hair. Skin and Body Refinery explores laser hair removal further below.
What is Laser Hair Removal & How Does it Work?
Laser hair removal is a procedure that uses laser technology to remove unwanted hair from various parts of the body, including the underarm, bikini, legs, back, chin, and upper lip. It is a non-invasive method that offers a long-term reduction of hair growth. During the procedure, a laser device sends a beam of light, which is absorbed by the pigment (melanin) present in the hair follicles. This absorption converts the light energy into heat, damaging the follicles and inhibiting future hair growth.
What to Expect after First Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
You can start to notice less hair within the first 6 appointments. Most people start to notice between 6 and 10 treatments that they have a reduction in their hair growth. This can take 6 months or longer to do. This is because of your hair growth cycle. Some areas need 4 to 6 weeks between your appointments while others are 8 to 10 weeks. The treatment can take up to 60 minutes if it is a larger area like the back. When you arrive at the appointment, you will put on protective goggles to wear and you may be given some numbing cream during the treatment. Most people say it is a tingling sensation during the treatment.
How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal
Before you start your treatment, there are a few things that you need to do to increase your chances of having it work properly and make sure you have fewer side effects.
– Have clean skin before treatment- If you have any lotion, dirt, or other impurities on your skin, it will lower the effectiveness of the laser treatment. When your skin is clean, it helps the laser to be able to go directly to the hair follicles.
– No waxing or plucking- when you wax or pluck it pulls your hair out from the roots. When there is no root, then the laser device cannot target your hair pigment because it has been removed. So do not wax or pluck six weeks before the treatment.
– Shaving- you do want to shave one to two days before the laser treatment. Shaving does not remove the hair and the laser can still target the hair pigment. Shaving before is important because then the laser will not burn the hair on the surface.
– Stay away from the sun- You want to try to avoid the sun for at least two weeks before your laser appointment. If your skin is tanner then usual than the laser can target the melanin on your skin instead of going after the hair. Do not use self-tanning lotions, or sprays, going to the beach, the pool, or any other places where you may get a tan.
– Medication- Some medication interferes with laser hair removal. They can make the skin more sensitive and increase side effects. Some of these are blood thinners, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, products that have retinol in them, hormone products, or acne products. Let your doctor know if you are taking any of these.
Laser Hair Removal & More in Waco, TX (Just Minutes Away from Axtell, West, Lorena, Bellmead, Woodway, Hewitt, Robinson & Crawford, Texas)
Laser hair removal has become a popular treatment. It’s long-lasting in some cases even permanent. If you are considering getting laser hair removal, then give Skin And Body Refinery a call and set up an appointment.