Winter is notorious for drying out the skin. Quite a few people experience the dryness, itchy, and ashy skin due to cold, dry air. To help you combat the winter woes, we at the Skin and Body Refinery would like to offer some tips to save your skin.
What is the Best Skin Care Routine for Winter?
1) Temperature and Time should be Reduced for Showering. Though long, steamy showers are a luxury for many people, it is recommended to only take a 5- to 10-minute lukewarm shower or bath. The water is too hot if after your shower your skin is red. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention assures people that washing hands in cooler water appears to be as effective at removing germs as warm water and is less irritating to skin.
2) Use Gentle Cleansers. Itchy, dry skin can easily worsen when you use the wrong soap. Irritating ingredients and fragrances are commonly used in the composition of standard bar soaps for example. A fragrance-free moisturizing cleanser or gel is recommended instead. Overall, use less soap and limit your lathering to necessary areas to prevent winter skin problems as well.
3) Add Moisture into the Air with a Humidifier. to add some moisture to dry winter air, use a humidifier in your home or at work to help maintain hydrated skin.
4) Modify the Thermostat. People tend to crank up the heat during especially colder days. Dry skin can be a result of intense central heat. Healthy skin maintenance calls for setting the thermostat at 68°F to 72°F.
5) Continue Sunscreen Applications. Winter still has sunlight, though mist people assume it is safe to be outside without sunscreen. Sunscreen use during the harsh winter weather is necessary, just as it is important to use during summer. Don’t be fooled by darker, dreary days in winter, the sun’s harmful UV rays can permeate clouds and still cause damage. With an SPF of 15 or higher, apply a moisturizing, broad-spectrum sunscreen to all exposed areas of your body before you go outside.
6) Maintain Hydration. Dried out skin can also manifest because of foods or supplements that contain omega-3 or omega-6 fatty acids, like flaxseed oil and fish oil. You need to help the skin moisturize from the outside as it is in the inside. Make sure drink plenty of water and consume a healthy, balanced diet.
7) Adjust Facial Skin-Care Regiment. Invest in cream-based cleansers and apply toners and astringents sparingly. You can further dry out your skin with products containing alcohol, common ingredient astringents and toners. When your skin is dry and itchy, stay away from using products that contain alcohol and fragrances. Make sure to use a lip moisturizer as well as a richer moisturizer on your face at night.
8) Moisturize Often. Especially after washing up, always moisturize to maintain healthy skin. Lotions are best for people living in humid climates, where those that have dry weather calls for a cream or ointment. Be sure to apply a hand cream after washing hands.
SkinCeutical Skin Care Products, Treatments in More in Waco, TX (Just Minutes Away from Axtell, West, Lorena, Bellmead, Woodway, Hewitt, Robinson & Crawford, Texas)
In addition to your efforts, Skin Body & Refinery has a number of treatments that can help your skin feel relief from the abuse winter air does to your skin. Call us today!