Sunburns are the most common and obvious harm caused by the sun. There are several known effects caused by these harmful ultraviolet rays that are emitted from the sun. In addition to the sunburns, over time exposure to the sun can contribute to a number of skin problems, especially when spending relaxing time under the sun to work on the sun kissed bronze-tone skin. The UV rays from the sun is 80% of the contributing causes to aged skin according to research. The most common issues derived from sun damage is what we at Skin & Body Refinery would like to share today.
How Can the Sun Harm Your Skin?
1) Dry Skin. Overexposure to the sun will leave skin dry, which looks rough, ashy, and flaky, and since the skin is deprived of the natural hydration and moisture it requires.
2) Actinic Keratosis. Overexposure of UV rays that causes the formation of dry, scaly, and crusty patches on the skin is Actinic Keratosis (AK). Being the source of nearly 10% of skin cancer, left untreated this condition is more severe than dry skin as it can lead to cancer.
3) Sunspots. What protects the skin from the sun’s harmful effects is a chemical called melanin is produced by the skin cells. Resulting in flat brown or black splotches known as sunspots or age spots, too much sun can cause melanin to ‘clump’ together, ironically enough.
4) Fine Lines & Wrinkles. By the time you notice the sunburn, most of the damage is already done to your skin. Collagen and elastin are the 2 proteins that keep skin smooth are broken down by the sun. With overexposure to the sun, leading to physical changes like wrinkles and lines is the damages skin cell DNA over time.
How to Protect Your Skin from Sun Damage
For your skin’s health, prevention of sun damage is the optimal approach. UV rays can reach your skin and cause sunburns and damage, even when the weather is overcast. The following preventive measures to your routine should be applied whenever you intend to spend any time under the sun apply.
– Invest in wide-brimmed hats.
– According to your skin type, apply sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 15 or higher.
– Wear approved sunglasses.
– Consider wearing summer scarves.
– Invest in quality products and include a regiment of cleansing, moisturizing, and exfoliating on a routine basis. By choosing water more often than other beverages of choice, always stay hydrated. Once a year visit a dermatologist and to repair the effects of sun damaged skin. For effective treatments and products, visit Skin & Body Refinery.
SkinCeuticals Products, Chemical Peels & More in Waco, TX (Just Minutes Away from Axtell, West, Lorena, Bellmead, Woodway, Hewitt, Robinson & Crawford, Texas)
All the prevention can’t stop the effects of sun damage with some individuals. Seeking medical and day spa services can greatly benefit from these people. We offer a number of services that can treat the various effects of skin damage that is more dominate on your skin and help you get your skin healthier, smoother, and younger looking. Call Skin & Body Refinery today to schedule your appointment.