While having yellow teeth isn’t a major dental condition, it can be one that has a large impact on your confidence and willingness to smile. Luckily, avoiding yellow teeth may be as easy as making some adjustments to your diet and oral habits. There are several factors that may play a role in the color of your teeth. Skin & Body Refinery is here to talk about some of the most common reasons people experience yellowing teeth.
Is it Normal to Have Yellow Teeth?
No one wants to have yellow teeth. If you have a yellowish tinge to your teeth, there are several reasons that may be causing it.
– Genetics: Sometimes you just don’t have control over the color of your teeth. Some people are simply born with genetics that give them teeth that are slightly discolored.
– Dentin: The enamel on your teeth covers something dentin which is naturally a yellow color. If the enamel on your teeth is wearing thin, you can see dentin beneath it which can cause your teeth to look yellow.
– Smoking: Most people know that smoking isn’t a good habit and is highly addictive. Another unfortunate part of smoking is yellowing teeth.
– Foods: There are a wide range of foods that can cause your teeth to yellow. Tomatoes, berries, curry sauces and other foods that have strong pigment are all responsible for turning teeth yellow.
– Drinks: Coffee and tea are the biggest culprits in yellowing teeth. However, red and white wines can also cause yellowing.
– Antibiotics: Some antibiotics like tetracycline can cause teeth discoloration if they were taken while your mother was pregnant with you or if you took them before the age of eight. It permanently stains the teeth while they are in your gums.
– Fluorosis: Fluoride can be helpful in preventing cavities and achieving oral health, but if you have too much of it, it can cause tooth discoloration. Sometimes it is found in the water you drink, toothpastes, mouthwashes and prescribed tablets. Consult with your dentist to make sure you aren’t using too much of it.
– Accidents: If your teeth have experienced a severe trauma, it can cause them to become dark or grey rather than white. If there is any cracked enamel, it can cause discoloration and even bleeding which will require professional, medical help.
– Grinding: Tooth grinding is an unconscious habit that some people have when they are stressed. It typically happens when a person is sleeping. It can be harmful to your tooth enamel and cause yellowing.
DaVinci Teeth Whitening & More in Waco, TX (Just Minutes Away from Axtell, West, Lorena, Bellmead, Woodway, Hewitt, Robinson & Crawford, Texas)
If you have yellow teeth and it is making you self-conscious, you can rely on Skin & Body Refinery to help make your teeth white again. We offer teeth whitening services that can help you regain that confidence you are looking for in your smile. Call us today!